Friday, November 28, 2008

IVF 7: Ethics

I wasn't planning on getting into the ethical implications of IVF, but after reading some of the angry online comments to Alex Kuczynski's piece in the Times Magazine this week on gestational surrogacy, it felt pressing.

The arguments against IVF fall into three main categories:
1) If you can't have kids, there's probably a reason, and IVF only circumvents Nature by letting you pass that problem on to the next generation.
2) Why not adopt a child in need, rather than spend time and money pursuing "biological" children?
3) It's a giant waste of money and medical training for a problem that is not directly related to health.

In addition, there is a widespread perception (as reflected in the comments to the Times article) that couples who choose IVF are narcissists, people who cannot imagine loving a child that did not spring from their own loins.

Dr Hyde and I discussed all of these issues before deciding to try IVF. Some of these arguments have validity and still worry me; others don't. Let's take them in turn.

1) IVF circumvents natural selection.
First off, there are many reasons for infertility, and not all of them are heritable. Age, especially of the female partner, is the most obvious one, but there are others, including certain types of injury. Often, the cause of infertility is not known, making it impossible to say with any confidence whether it is heritable.

In our particular situation, we know the cause (or think we do), and doctors simply don't know if it's heritable. After all, it's only recently that couples with our problem have been able to have children. In this respect, we think of ourselves as being on the forefront of a giant experiment. Yay, experiments!

Would we still have tried IVF if we knew that any affected children would also be unable to conceive? I don't know. Of course, if we can conceive through unnatural means, then they would be able to, as well. Still, it's a heavy burden to put on them. There are no known health problems associated with our particular situation; if there were, we would have spent longer on this issue.

In any case, the point is that people who do have genuine, heritable health problems are not usually looked down upon for having children. Bad backs run in your family? Nobody says, "How dare you have children and put them at risk? Lower back pain is a sign that you are not genetically fit to continue the line!" So if you think IVF is immoral because it passes on bad genes, all I can say is: good luck defending your decision to propagate your family's hypertension, heart disease, bad teeth, and fallen arches.

2) Why not adopt?
Well, we still may. If a couple of rounds of IVF don't take, or if we want to add to the family later on but don't want to go through the medical hassle, we will adopt.

Adoption is not hassle-free, though. One friend who is working on her second international adoption listed all of the countries that have recently cut back on allowing babies to be adopted by foreigners. The list ran roughly, "All of them." Waiting lists are long, and if the rules change mid-process, you may not get a child at all.

I don't know anyone who has recently adopted domestically, but I do have one friend in her sixties who adopted her children in what she described as "the halcyon years for adoption--after the war but before Roe v Wade." I'm a firm supporter of all types of abortion rights, but there is no denying that legalizing abortion reduces the number of babies available for adoption. I have heard both good and awful adoption stories; like any method of acquiring a child, it's fraught with uncertainty.

Again, though, the proponents of adoption (in online commentaries, that is) usually seem to believe that infertile couples have a special responsibility to take care of the world's neglected babies. You just don't hear them saying, "Due to the population explosion and the number of needy children out there, everybody, including me, should adopt." No, somehow it's always the infertile folks who have to lead the charge of moral rectitude.

3) Should we really be using medical training for such a frivolous pursuit?
Three words: elective plastic surgery.

Now, I'm not of the belief that just because we can do it, someone else should pay for it. I don't think IVF should normally be covered under basic health insurance, because it's both expensive and medically unnecessary. However, Dr Hyde's health insurance is willing to cover one round of IVF, and we may be hypocrites, but we're not fools: we're taking the money.

4) You're all narcissists.
Interestingly, people often say this in the same breath that they claim that the only reason anyone wants kids is because society "brainwashes" women into thinking that they're not whole without children.

As a biologist, I find these statements make me laugh like a hyena. Wanting kids? Is normal, and biological, and without that drive the species would die out. Wanting kids that are genetically related to you? Again, totally normal. Adoption is, biologically speaking, somewhat perplexing.

Of course, we use our giant brains to make decisions that run contrary to our biology all the time, and thank goodness, because otherwise there might be more fighting, more rape, and fewer scientific conferences. But I don't think that someone can be labeled a narcissist for wanting biological children.

I'd also point out that the very fact that so many people are willing to spend $10,000 or so per cycle of IVF, even to go into debt for this purpose, says something important about our urge to have children. (It also says something important about the American willingness to go into debt, but that is more Ben Bernanke's problem than mine.)

I do think that some people have trouble knowing when to stop. When you are running out of money or ruining your quality of life by endless cycles at the infertility clinic, it is time to let go. But I can say that with sympathy, rather than with rancor or judgment. I can see all too well how difficult it would be to turn away from a particular vision you'd held of how the future looked.

It looked like an embodiment of the love between you and another person.

That's not easy to give up.

18 comments:

LostMarbles said...

I've always been puzzled by issue #1. Isn't a large portion of modern medicine there to circumvent natural selection? By that same argument people could say that we shouldn't be treating people with cystic fibrosis or diabetes.

Anonymous said...

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

This is a really great post. I've got no issues with IVF- every couple needs to make their own decision on that one, and the one that best fits their family.

I do have one question though. I suppose I don't understand why the adoptee must be a baby? A quick look at the department of children and families website from my state lists PAGES AND PAGES of children up for adoption- sometimes siblings and whole families. These kids are often removed from their homes because of parental neglect- (read drug abuse/meth abuse)- and they are great kids that just need a loving home. That- and my dad was adopted as a 6 year old.

As for the you don't know what you are getting when you adopt thing- I say you don't know what you are getting when you give birth to your own either. Every developmental stage is like one gigantic crap shoot.... you can get to the age of 3 and figure out that your child is autistic, or has childhood cancer or whatever. Nothing comes with a guarantee.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, DJMH.

Nat Blair said...

That is a nice post. And thanks for saving me the aggravation for coming across those comments on the NYT piece.

The natural selection and the money issues are as noted, garbage. All of medicine counteracts natural selection, as does public health (I don't see these people lamented how we overrode natural selection and rid the world of smallpox).

And as for money, all I have to say is: smoking related diseases. Compared to that, the cost that insurance bears for IVF is a pittance. Even in a state like Massachusetts where law mandates insurance cover 5 attempts.

But, seeing as I'm the father to two IVF kids, I'm not too objective about this.

Isis the Scientist said...

Lovely post, DJMH. I imagine it is challenging to contend with people's judgement of your decisions. I admire your will to do it publicly.

Anonymous said...

well put. Especially the part about couples with fertility issues having no particular obligation. (gee, wonder how the critics of IVF feel about gay couples adopting?)


I will say though, you missed put on some serious troll bait here- do we really want all the smart women in science failing to reproduce? By any means necessary...

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Thank you all. I've been gratified by the lack of judgment thrown my way on this space, in comparison to the vitriol aimed at Kuczynski, among others. (I will say that Kuczynski comes off as a bit selfish in that article, due to her failure to discuss these ethical quandaries at all. But having been through a similar quest, I'm more willing to give her the benefit of the doubt about whether she's thought seriously about them.)

DrdrA, yes, there are great reasons to adopt older children. As you point out, though, there are also great fears. What is the mindset of a 6 or 8 year old who has watched his or her parent(s) fail to behave responsibly? We all know how important development is, and to be honest it's just plain scarier to take on a child whose background may have been bad.

Now, as you say, it's all a crapshoot. I liken the feeling to the same reason that very few people fear driving (which kills ~40,000 Americans per year), but many fear flying (perhaps 100 American deaths/year). Why? Less control. You think that by driving you can avoid accidents, while on a plane you're helpless.

I think wanting to adopt a baby makes about as much sense as preferring driving to flying. You have the illusion of control, but that doesn't actually make it any better. Nonetheless, it's a hard illusion to rid yourself of (although in fact I have no problems flying....) Anyhow, I just don't know what we would think about it if we were actively investigating adoption. Cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

BikeMonkey, for the longest time I told people that our goal was to have ten kids and move to a swing state, in the hopes of seeding little Democrats there. This fertility thing really punches a hole in that plan, alas.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

ps Nat, do NOT go to the comments page on that article. I tried to stop myself from clicking but failed. And regretted it. The first three pages are just amazingly nasty.

Anonymoustache said...

Great post Dr.J!

Al Anine said...

Being a graduate student scientist(male) with an SO that is also a graduate student scientist I still find it interesting that people in a similar situation(i.e. two scientists together) want to have children. I understand some people say they have urges to have children but I think we are past the place in society where we can blame something on our "evolutionary need". The species would not die out if you did not have a child. Why then do you want or need to have a child? I don't think you particularly answered that in your post.

Personally as a scientist I feel that a dedication to my craft is important and that science is inherently selfish. It does not seem to mesh well with me to also have children. This is the life myself and my SO have chosen though. Maybe in ten years or so one of our minds will change?
I have personally experienced as an MS student two scientists(one was my PI) trying to raise a child and it was not pretty. The graduate students suffered but most of all they themselves suffered and their careers suffered. I am sure you understand all of these things that is why I am so interested in why specifically you want to have a child?

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Al Anine, why do you think that we have mostly moved beyond acting on biological urges? For example, why do you think you have a significant other? SOs take time, too. You could probably be a more efficient scientist if you weren't trying to coordinate your schedule with someone else's, if you weren't occasionally taking the day off to take your SO to the doctor when she's sick, or to celebrate an anniversary.

But you still choose to do those things, presumably. You can cast it in the light of "companionship" but it probably comes down to a couple of things: company, which we like because we are social animals; and sex, which we like because our biology tells us to. Both of these urges are driven by biology. So why do you think that we're somehow "past" the evolutionary needs?

Second, Dr Hyde and I have dreamed of having children since before we met. We look forward to helping children grow. We look forward to showing them the things we care about--books, and science, and delicious food, and hiking. We look forward to watching them develop their own interests distinct from ours. We look forward to learning more about ourselves, and about how to mature as people who are responsible for the well-being of others.

It's fine with me that lots of people, including you, don't want that experience. There are plenty of routes to achieving maturity. But we are aching to have a small child to help, and teach, and watch. Is that really so difficult to imagine?

And as for science as the lone passion--that's great. You do that, and I'll do it this other way. Why do I have to feel the same exclusivity about the pursuit of science that you do?

Al Anine said...

I think you are missunderstanding what I was saying. And I knew my comment would most likely be replied to with a terse rebuttal when honestly I was just interested in why someone would want to have a child despite all the issues they bring to one's life. What you say is not so difficult to imagine it just intrigues me because I could never think of it that way. I don't mean to say Science should be a singular pursuit it is just that most scientists I know barely remember to feed themselves much less be responsible for someone elses well-being! Not to say it is not possible, I just want insight into a scientist's view of tackling the problem of parenthood meshed with a career.

You bring up an interesting point about my SO. But as a rational being I have a rational choice to make regarding my relationship. Does it benefit me? Does it benefit her? I can choose to overcome these "evolutionary needs" that was my point. My SO attends a program ~600 miles from me, so though I do enjoy sex with her it is not a top priority. Further, I only spend time with her in person every ~3 weeks so it not for social reasons alone as I spend much more social time with fellow students. Why are we together then besides the love, companionship or sex? Why do we even "love", now thats a good question! I digress...

I just personally do not see how a child would benefit me(again not that it could not benefit someone else). People who want to reproduce intrigue me because I do not see the point but that is probably just my ignorance and naievete speaking. Someday I will probably wonder how I did not want to repoduce!

Anonymous said...

You have a child because you have love in your heart to give; and because you adore your significant other and think the universe would be a better place if there were more like your loved one. When you sit in your rocker with your little one asleep in your arms, cozy and sucking her thumb, you'll never look back. I used to think I could never adopt, but now it breaks my heart that there are children out there without the cocoon of love I give to my daughter... so maybe some day I will. Hang in there Dr. J, it will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

To Al Anine:

The species would not die out if you did not have a child. Why then do you want or need to have a child? I don't think you particularly answered that in your post.

The same approach can be used for someone's life. Does this mean that everyone must justify the worth of their own life in order to get your approval to stay alive?
I don't think so.

ScienceMama said...

DJMH, thank you for a lovely post. And there is absolutely no need for you to justify wanting to have a child to begin with.

Some people want children, some people don't. I don't think there's any way to explain why someone feels one way or another.

It's always so frustrating to me that something that people who chose not to have children are always so dismissive of people who chose to.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jack Du said...

Interesting, I found this helpful as well: Resume Tips for Entry Level Biology Jobs

Guelph Personal Trainer said...

This is also relevant for Machine Exercises vs. Free Weights – What’s the Difference?