Sunday, December 14, 2008

IVF 16: Isolation

Although (because?) I am feeling surrounded by support right now, I'd like to discuss the ways in which infertility is an isolating diagnosis. The sentiments may be applicable to more situations than just infertility, but this is the one I know about. This post is in part for the commenter who said that she was reeling from an "IVF or adopt" diagnosis.

First, the emotional sense of isolation. While 10% of the American population may struggle with conception, your own diagnosis of infertility almost inevitably arrives when everyone else in your cohort is pregnant, or about to become so.

What's more, not only does hardly a week seem to go by without yet another friend telling you that they have "news," nobody in your life is likely to announce that they've been trying for two years and it isn't working. We all know that you don't tell anyone when you're "trying." Well, you also don't usually tell people when you're failing. For the first two years or so of this struggle, the only people who knew that there was trouble were two of my friends, one of Dr Hyde's friends, and my immediate family.

My friend X who is also struggling with fertility problems put it thus: "I feel as though my husband and I are just this sad couple."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "You're the life of every party."

"Yes," she said, "but that only reinforces the fact that we go back home to failure."

And it's true. There's a sense that you are shouldering this burden alone, perhaps more so than if you had a more popular medical problem.

One solution, of course, is for people to be more open about their struggles with conception. It's a little tricky, though, to know what to say. You are potentially airing not only your own medical problems but your partner's. You are inviting discussion about some areas of your body that you used to think of as private. Announcing infertility is (literally) a Debbie Downer.

What's more, you're not always guaranteed sympathy. There are people who will tell you that pregnancy's not all it's cracked up to be, or that they know people who have very cute adopted kids from Country Z. These things are true, but you wouldn't think of telling someone who just lost a leg that at least she would never have problems finding matching socks.

I've been lucky in that the response, when I've told people about our problems, has been universally supportive--but I'm still always nervous that someone will tell us to suck it up and adopt, or quit adding to the world population, or whatever.

Another emotion that arises is jealousy, and attendant self-loathing. I would like to think that, despite our own struggles, I was the sort of person who could be happy when other people got pregnant. Nope. I say nice things on the phone and then I go cry with rage and jealousy and helplessness, and with shame that I am not in fact a nice enough person to be happy for others. Nice.

I had always felt close to Friend X and her husband, but still I felt inhibited from mentioning our problems to them. Since they were also married and stable, I was dreading the day that they would come to me with "news." When instead X mentioned what they were going through, I couldn't believe my ears. They'd been in our lives all this time, but both they and we had kept quiet about our continued failure to have kids.

From that point on, I've been more willing to tell friends about our situation. Our isolation was self-imposed--not that anyone else has confessed to sharing these problems, but at least I've stopped feeling like we carry a big sad secret. This is not to say that everyone going through this ought to stand up and announce it in lab meeting, but to note that if all of us stay quiet, we won't find each other. And while the internet is a great place to locate a sympathetic community, real life friends have a lot to recommend themselves, too.

Second, the physical sense of isolation. Some women, when they hear about struggles with conception, say something along the lines of, "Well, pregnancy and childbirth isn't exactly a walk in the park." And of course they're right about that. Even "easy" pregnancies cause discomfort and pain and restricted activity.

For anyone who wonders why people would go to such lengths just to put themselves through the difficulties of pregnancy and birth, I would say this. Imagine that you were born female but that you never had menses. "Lucky you," your friends would say. "It's awful, and inconvenient." Meanwhile, every women's magazine you read has an article about menstruation--readers' stories of when they got their first periods, debates about maxipads with wings, the Eight Signs That You Should Visit the Gynecologist. When groups of women are together, they talk about PMS, or about sex during their periods, pro or con.

You would feel jealous. Not because having a period was such a desirable thing, but because it was such a fundamental part of every other woman's life that to lack it was to be excluded. And wouldn't you sort of hate your friends for telling you not to want what they all had?

Take that sensation and convolve it with the knowledge that most women enjoy aspects of pregnancy and birth, and say that it was a life experience they wouldn't miss--it was defining. The fear that you will never have that experience is real.

Once, before I had told my GradAdvisor that Dr Hyde and I were struggling, she launched into a speech about how childbirth made women stronger (I think it was prompted by the pregnancy of yet another lab member). "Knowing that you can go through that and come out the other side makes you realize how much strength you have inside, and how much stronger we are than men really. It's such a transformative experience and you learn so much from it."

She had no intention of hurting me, but it took every ounce of self-control not to run away crying. Infertility's pretty fucking transformative too, I wanted to say, and I've grown a lot stronger from learning to control myself in situations like this.

It's important to realize that adoption is not a solution to infertility, per se. It's a solution to the ultimate goal--having children. But it's not a cure for being able to share in the experience of conception and pregnancy and birth and newborns. If this cycle and whatever comes after it doesn't work, then I will give up on having that experience. The defining moment of my personal life won't be childbirth, but perhaps--what? Accepting that I won't give birth? Signing adoption papers? Seeing our adopted kid for the first time? I don't know. We don't have a narrative constructed around that path.

I think there would be more forgiving attitudes towards IVF and related procedures if more of us were speaking up about them. Cancer used to be a stigma, a shame, a secret. Patients stripped those attitudes away by organizing support groups and societies, by asking for help in fighting cancer, by going public. We're never going to get past the "you're buying a baby/you ought to adopt" response until we do the same for infertility. Reasonable people may always disagree on whether we high-consumption Americans should be having kids at all (or having more than the replacement rate, or whatever), but that argument needs to be separated from the fact that some people go to greater lengths than others to have those kids.

16 comments:

Candid Engineer said...

Great post. In my life, I am such an honest person, and I wear my heart on my sleeve, so it is hard not to tell people what's going on, good or bad. Despite my lack of verbal restraint, I have actually been very surprised at the number of people who say, "oh, I've been through that too" when it comes to medical/mental issues. We are all out there, many of us going through the same thing, together yet separately. All it takes is a little communication.

Anonymous said...

As a relative newcomer to your blog, I also think that this is a great post. I've been thinking a lot about (in)fertility lately, and I think that this is one of the most honest discussions of the emotions that this issue generates -- at least for me, anyway.

As a side note, I also appreciate your "Things I learned in grad school that have nothing to do with science" very much.

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

We're rooting for you. And you're helping me understand what my best friend went through to have kids after several miscarriages. thank you for that ((hugs))

Unknown said...

So very many parts of this post rang true. I also feel like the eternal downer, the party killer, the b1tch who can't be happy for people for whom things actually do work. And also, ungrateful for all the things that I DO have success in in life... It's just that the one thing you really desperately want, in this case, a child, is held up so secret and becomes so all consuming.

My husband confided our difficulties in a great friend and also found someone in a similar situation. By being brave enough to talk about it, I also have found an ally to commensurate with. I just hope that one day when one of us does have "news" to share that we can find it in ourselves to be happy for them (or that we're brave enough to share the news with them knowing exactly how it will hurt).

JaneB said...

Great post, and a useful insight.

I actually share a lot of these feelings, because I'm long term single and have never felt it appropriate to pursue partner-less routes to bringing a child into the world - it's just how things have worked out. But it's terribly excluding not to be part of so much of female life.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

JaneB--YES childbirth/parenthood sometimes get glorified to the point where people who (very reasonably) have decided not to go that route, for whatever reason, can feel left out of the conversation. I think the more extreme resentment that can build up (not what you're expressing at all, but what I see elsewhere) on the part of childless people angry that people with kids don't pull their weight at work or whatever, are partially due to this aggravation that the whole world talks about childbirth, parenting, ooh! as though it's a sine qua non for adulthood.

Whatever route we take to becoming parents, I can at least promise not to become one of those people...

ScientistMother said...

I learned long ago to not ask couple when / if they want kids. Growing up in culture where having kids is sine qua non, I think this post accurately describes what my family members going through infertility have deal(t) with.

Mr.SM's aunt had a child after they adopted. Now everyone repeats this story to who ever else is going through infertility. I think that must be the worst "you'll have one after you adopt, as you won't be stressed". I feel screaming whenever I hear that.

scarabee said...

Thank you (again) for sharing your experiences and feelings on all of this, but especially this post, today, has me almost in tears.

Nat Blair said...

Another really touching post in this series Dr.J.

I can empathize with many of the feelings and incidents you talk about, as we've had our own variations on them.

I wish we had known other people going through the same thing when it was all happening for us, so more openness about it would be welcome. Of course those friends of ours who did require some fertility issue referral all seemed to have rapid success with treatments far below IVF. And while their experiences were difficult to be sure, their attempts at empathizing kinda felt hollow to us.

I do have to remember though that whatever the experiences of me and my wife, things ultimately worked for us. So regardless of all the visits to the clinic full of nervous faces, the failed attempts, and the tears (oh the tears. My wife and I coulda been the saviors of Dune that year with all the tears), all that must be seen through the prism of how things ended up.

Thus, I'm still sending you all the good karma I can!

maccris said...

Very well written.

Another related area we should talk about is miscarriage. It feels like a failure, yet happens to so many women. After my miscarriage, I found out that most every woman I told had had one or more.

The more we talk about these issue, the less isolated we will feel.

ScienceMama said...

Beautiful post, Dr. J. Thank you for sharing.

A lot of these same emotions underlie the pain I felt at having had a C-section instead of the natural birth my husband and I had planned. And most people don't understand why I feel so angry, so robbed of that experience. They just say "oh, well at least your vagina's in tact". But missing out on birthing my child... it still brings me to tears.

Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog (via ScienceMama), and I just want to say a huge THANK YOU for your candid and honest posts about the IVF process. This one, especially, hits the nail squarely on the head, but all of them have hit home and brought back memories of our own IVF experience a few years ago.

My husband and I are infertile, and for various reasons have decided to share this info with very few people. And you are right---it is so very isolating. I mean, here is this thing, reproducing, that is supposed to just work, and works for so many people...except not for us. It's really hard not to feel like you are some kind of freak, and it's really, REALLY hard to not hate people who are lucky enough to be able to reproduce normally. And it's equally hard to get people to understand that (a) no, we won't get pregnant if we just relax/take a vacation/pray harder/have more sex; (b) yes, we've considered adoption, but for various complicated reasons have decided not to go that route initially, and that doesn't make us immoral people. And don't get me started on the special guilt and shame that comes from this nagging feeling that you are "buying" a baby, in a sense, which of course you're not, but sometimes feels that way.

Anyway, we succeeded on the first IVF try (with very few eggs and none good enough to freeze...I am jealous of your numerous super-special eggs!), and are now, it appears, going to start the process again (fingers crossed). I hope you are successful---my fingers are crossed for you, I wish you all the best, and I'm sending good thoughts your way. Please keep blogging about your experience, and thank you again.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Thank you everybody. One other thing I forgot to mention is that--unless you are Louise Brown--your parents aren't likely to have any first-hand experience with this either. After all, they produced you....(although your mother might be able to commiserate on miscarriage, it's true.) With other medical issues, it's more likely that your parents or grandparents have a similar problem. Again, isolation.

One other factor in the self-imposed quiet was self-control. Although I was mostly able to keep myself together during lab hours (aside from some teary hours), there was simply no way that I could talk about our struggles without crying immediately. I didn't want to do that. So I didn't talk.

Last Anon, I'm happy to hear that the first round worked out for you and I wish you the absolute best in your coming cycle.

And Jenn, I worry about the same things too--but I think that knowing a friend has struggled as hard as we have will make it easier to accept their success. At least, I hope.

Anonymous said...

This was a fabulous post. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, I learned of my structural infertility termed, "kissing ovaries". The websites you suggested earlier were great. Thanks for that.

This post really made me feel not so alone. But the one issue that hasn't been mentioned in the post is the cost of IVF. If you don't live in a state where insurance companies are mandated then costs become an issue. People who are not infertile don't have to worry about whether they have $10000 to have kids, they just do. The other thing that I wanted to mention is that even with adoption there is no guarantee at the end of the 3 years and $30000 later that you will have a kid.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Anon, yes, the costs are unreal. We have been fortunate to have insurance that covers one cycle (well, actually it's Dr Hyde's insurance, and I had to drop mine to get on his, and also he had to petition his PI to stay on that insurance because his funding shifted so he was supposed to shift to a worse insurance plan....but the point is, it's covered).

And I think you're right about adoption, although again we haven't tried it out yet so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

The general idea that having children is suddenly fraught with such uncertainty on top of often significant expenditures is almost too much to bear. The notion that your savings is going to go to produce a very expensive child (hopefully!) rather than to pay for that child's upkeep is just devastating, and you're right, one of the isolating factors at work.

Wicked Teacher of the West said...

Thank you for your thoughtful posts and the whole series. I am possibly about to embark on this journey and have been struggling with isolation. On the one hand, I'm not embarrassed by our infertility and do think I should be more open about it in order to increase awareness. I've been really hurt by some of the things people have said to me - especially people who know we've tried and failed. ("You can't understand what it's like to have kids because you don't have any.") On the other hand, it feels very private and I don't want to talk about it - especially if it doesn't work.