Thursday, November 12, 2009

The cost of a paper

I'm engaged in writing up a story that has resulted from my postdoc. As it happens, I will leave this postdoc as soon as the paper is out, and it is the only paper that will result from this postdoc. Thus, we can reasonably attribute 100% of my costs over the last two years to the production of one paper. How much is this paper worth?

1) My salary of ~($40K + benefits) x 2 years = $100,000.
2) My PI's salary, relevant fraction. Let's estimate he earns $100K, and I use 5% of his time, $5,000 x 2 years = $10,000
3) Mice. Each litter I use has a list price of $50. Let's say I've used 50 litters. $50 x 50 = $2,500.
4) Equipment, amortized. My set-up probably cost around $150K, but most of that equipment will be usable for a decade or three. This is the hardest to estimate, but I'll say 10% of the equipment cost = $15,000.
5) Chemicals. Most of the chemicals I use are cheap, but some aren't. $5,000.
6) Miscellany. Sending me to conferences, my share of our tech's and lab manager's salaries, my share of some infrequently used equipment, etc. Hard to say but I'll guess $15,000. Probably an underestimate since there are likely things I'm not thinking of.

Total: $147,500*

It better be one hell of a paper.


* Plus indirect costs!

14 comments:

Comrade PhysioProf said...

That's not very expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I've never thought about this before, but in my field, the bare minimum grant is $100k/year, usually for 3 years. This type of project would usually end in about papers, 3 if there was a graduate student working on it as well. So, $150k/paper would probably be on the low end.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing some analyses from the grant $ / # papers viewpoint. I have quite possibly underestimated, say on the equipment or support staff salaries? What do people estimate is the cost per paper in their labs, as grants/papers?

Sneks said...

Hmmm... as a behavioral ecology grad student, I have done a lot of field work. If I calculated how much money was spent on a 3-week trip to a caribbean island that resulted in 2 papers ... including airfare, food, lab fees, 3-week salary for me and another grad student and rum ... it comes to about $1,744.36 per paper. Oh, how scientific fields differ!!

Anonymous said...

you're forgetting F & A, it's 69% at my institution

apple said...

when I was working in New Zealand, the ceo of the company I worked for said that the average $/paper in NZ was $100,000 and this was very low by international standards (Japan was the highest at $1M I think). So $150,000 seems reasonable.
But I think by field the costs would vary a lot - my major expenses this year have been gas and fabric which is substantially less than a large Hadron-whatsit

Anonymous said...

Where are you going after the paper is out?

Anonymous said...

I'm just completing my 6th year on the tenure track, so I added up the funding I've used to date (setups + grants) + 70% of my salary and benefits (I do teach too) + 50% of salary/benefits paid to my students when they've TA'd so I didn't have to support them directly. Divided by papers produced (not including reviews) I get an average of 190,000/paper.

Now that includes setting up the lab, so big ticket items will presumably amortize over future papers to bring my $/paper down.

If I calculate just grant dollars spent/paper (I'm on hard money, so a large fraction of my salary is paid by the university, and I can claim grad students are "free" if they TA) I come out with a very competitive $89,000/paper. I'll have to mention this in my next grant application!

Drugmonkey said...

As I noted before there's a study with some per-grant pub numbers here:

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=drugmonkey.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdx.doi.org%2F10.1016%2Fj.amjmed.2005.02.015

Drugmonkey said...

On average, each grant produced 7.58 MEDLINE manuscripts (95% confidence interval [CI]: 7.47 to 7.69) and 1.61 publications in a core journal (95% CI: 1.56 to 1.65). A total of 6.4% of R01 grants were not associated with any publications
during the study period.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Am I the only person who finds it a little terrifying how expensive the papers are? I'd never tried costing it out before and I'm rather appalled.

DM, what's the average grant $?

Comrade PhysioProf said...

What the fuck is a "core journal"?

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Core journal includes index medicus, none of which I read, and ISI-now-Thomson's top 100--presumably including C/N/S but I don't know what else.

Ms.PhD said...

I'm with CPP, depends on the journal. But unless you're purchasing your mouse litters and sacrificing them the day they arrive in the mail (highly doubtful!) I think you've vastly underestimated the cost of your mice.

At my university, it costs about $5 per cage per day to house and feed them. So on the upper end, let's assume that could be as much as $5 x 365 days x 2 years x 50 litters = $1.8 million dollars for mouse costs for your project.

At one point a few of us calculated that a single Cell paper costs about 0.5-1 million dollars when you add up all the co-authors and various costs over the average 2-3 years that it takes to do that much work, even as a group effort. This is why it's extremely difficult to publish a high-impact paper from a poor lab.

Of course I was talking about this with regard to how hard it is to get a faculty position without a high-impact paper.