Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Screaming meemies UPDATED

Now, with answers! For those of you too lazy to google them yourself!
Also, I'm disappointed in all of you who missed the Booty Boys. Really, what do you listen to?

The song shuffle meme! DrdrA tagged me, so here goes. The first line of the first 25 songs off our iPod, and you get to identify them sans Information Superhighway.

I figured I'd recognize all the songs on my own Pud. Wrong, very wrong. I had to google the first incomprehensible lines of many, many of these. Then again, I am quite poor at auditory comprehension, and frequently mishear lyrics to comic effect. ("I thought it was that they both really hated Breakfast at Tiffany's....")

For historical reasons*, we have a lot of the Fab Four on the Pud, so some of you should be in good shape. I'm looking at you, Anonymoustache! (Also tagging you, whenever you've recovered from that hideous cult fiction meme.) Of course, it helps that they typically titled their songs based on the first line of the song.

* Being that we illegally downloaded the whole collection from Dr Hyde's best friend.

1. I'm going coast to coast, I'm going nationwide, I've got my hand on the trigger, Got my girl by my side. Fountains of Wayne, California Sex Lawyer.
2. Hoy ya la libro de comer, pobre nino de la calle. Mana, Falta Amor.
3. I saw you holding hands with a guy wearing light blue Dockers pants. Fountains of Wayne, This Better Be Good.
4. Is it wrong to want to live on your own? The Smiths, Sheila Take a Bow.
5. You make me dizzy, Miss Lizzie. Beatles, Dizzy Miss Lizzie
6. Now her paints are dry, and I looked outside at the corner boys. Jane's Addiction, Then She Did.
7. Small town, bright lights, Saturday night. John Prine, Donald and Lydia
8. By a fountain back in Rome, I fell in love with you...in a small cafe in Athens, you said you loved me too. John Prine, We're Not the Jet Set.
9. One day you'll look to see I've gone, but tomorrow may rain... Beatles, Follow the Sun.
10. Welcome to Tijuana. Manu Chao, Welcome to Tijuana (the Beatles aren't the only ones who give it away....)
11. Now here we go dropping science, dropping it all over. The Beastie Boys, Sounds of Science.
12. The building, building from the side to side, uptown. Deerhoof, Plus 81.
13. The cat calls through the night and two chicks in the parking lot crack wise on the price of fame. The New Pornographers, Use It.
14. It's a one-horse town, one big desert, asphalt desert, asphalt jungle. Husker Du, Beyond the Threshold.
15. Celebrate that thing, commemorate that thing, and if it looks good girl, I'm gonna take that thing. Booty Boys, Track 11.
16. What's with these homies dissing my girl? Weezer, Buddy Holly
17. Michelle, ma belle, these are words that go together well. Beatles, Michelle
18. The last survivor of a boiled crap, another casualty with the casual frown. Beck, Minus.
19. I had me a wife, I had me some daughters, I tried so hard, I never knew still waters. Violent Femmes, Country Death Song.
20. When I was a young girl, I used to seek pleasure. Feist, When I Was a Young Girl.
21. If it's true a rich man leads a sad life The Clash, I'm Not Down.
22. You've been so long your blind eyes are gone, your old bones are on their own. Beck, Ramshackle.
23. I left the north, I traveled south, I found a tiny house. The Smiths, Is It Really So Strange.
24. One man he disappoint me, he give me the gouge and he take my glee. Fiona Apple, Get Him Back.
25. If we lived in a world without tears, how would bruises find the face to lie upon. Lucinda Williams, World Without Tears.

If nothing else, I will learn through this meme how the bejeezus to do strikethrough text. Thank you, Propter Doc!

8 comments:

stepwise girl said...

10. is Manu Chao, Welcome to Tijuana
16. is Weezer, Buddy Holly

Anonymous said...

Strike through -

s at the start, /s at the end of the phrase and put both in <>.

Sorry, can't guess any of your songs!

Anonymous said...

5. Dizzy Miss Lizzie, the Beatles.
7. Donald and Lydia, John Prine (OH how I love that guy!)
17. Michelle, the Beatles.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

#9 is another Beatles one - "I'll follow the sun"

#3 seems familiar, is it the White Stripes?

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Cae--nope, it's Fountains of Wayne, as is one more entry on the list....any title guesses?

Anonymous said...

24. Get him back (?), Fiona Apple

Anonymous said...

20. when i was a young girl, feist

Anonymous said...

4) "Sheila Take a Bow", The Smiths
23) "Is it really so strange," the Smiths again