Monday, June 16, 2008

How do we make any money? Volume.

Despite working all day Saturday, as well as today, I have no more data than I did at the close of Friday. Data-less days are depressing, but one of my grad friends had a coping mechanism (besides alcohol): she referred to them as deposits into the karma bank.

The karma bank, you see, operates on sort of a mash-up of the principles of Samuel Goldwyn--"The harder I work, the luckier I get"--and the Beatles--"The love you take is equal to the love you make." So, working all day on the weekend for absolutely zero return: that's a deposit into the karma bank, which will then repay you with golden figure-ready data on some hapless Wednesday when you only have two hours to do experiments and you're half checking your email anyhow.

I am not sure who runs the karma bank, but I sure wish they'd post their interest rates.


p.s. For some reason, the idea reminds me of the famous SNL "change bank" skit.

5 comments:

Candid Engineer said...

Comforting. It certainly is true that good things sometimes happen when we least expect it/ were putting minimal work into it.

I have just always had the philosophy that I have to do something ~7 times before it works (yes, 7 is extreme, but it usually works by then if it's ever going to work). That way I'm not desperately disappointed when experiments 1 thru N don't work out.

Have a good story about this topic, will post today if possible.

Mad Hatter said...

I like this idea. Given the number of data-less days I've had, a whole bunch of first-author C/N/S papers should just fall out of the sky for me any minute now! :-)

Amanda said...

I agree with Mad Hatter. I should get at least one good data set to fall into my lap at any moment. Ahem... I said any moment. Sigh.

Southern Grad Girl said...

My boss also believes in the kharma bank (and as a result, has converted me). This means his reaction when things don't work the first (or second or third) time is "Eh, you're still building up kharma with [insert new experiment]." It's very nice from my end to hear that.

Julie R said...

I really like this idea. Its especially comforting on a day like to day when I spend all my time at war with a piece of equipment.